Monday, August 8, 2011

38 Strangers Fought for My Daughter- It's Personal.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine

    For those of you who do not know me, I am a passionate social studies teacher.  When I teach geography, I relate it to my experience working with our local refugee population.  They have fled from places like Iran, Iraq, Butan, the Dem. Republic of the Congo, Burundi, and Chad.  In my classroom I enforce respect.  I teach my students to cherish their right to vote.  My desire, above all, is for my students to FEEL.---I want them to feel angered by injustice, and I want them to feel enpowered to change a bad situation.  I want what every other educator wants for their students--- success.  But above all, my heart's greatest desire is that one day a student will find themselves in a difficult situation, where making the right choice is not easy.--- It may be standing up to a bully to defend someone weaker.--- And that student will make the right choice.
    This week I have struggled with what I teach and preach.  I teach geography.  I know it well.  And these past few days I hate it.  I encourage my students to follow current events, and yet this week's news has been almost unbearable to watch.
    Just this week, David Muir returned from covering the hunger/terrorist crisis in Somalia.  I felt enfuriated by the members of the al-Shabaab terrorist organization who attacked UN envoys delivering food to starving children.  Somalia shares a border with Ethiopia.  Geography reminds me of exactly how far I am from protecting my daughter from harm.  And it reminds me of how physically close danger now lurks.  Saturday's news of the downed helicopter was heartbreaking.  I did not know the 30 American and eight Afghan soldiers who were killed.  But I know this: they died fighting al-Qaida terrorists who are funding the spread of terrorism in Africa, so close to my child.--- It's now personal.
    Some of the victims were fathers.  One soldier mentioned on the news had the opportunity to know his brand new baby girl for just two weeks.  So many children lost a parent, and yet I can continue my life as usual.  You can guarantee that I will keep these men and families in my prayers, but it does not change the fact that it is an unfair situation.  Sacrifice never means equal.  Lord, do not permit me to forget.  Thank you for giving the world brave men and women who challenge evil.  They are reflections of You, who protect the orphans and the oppressed.         

No comments:

Post a Comment