Monday, April 11, 2011

He Always Adds a "Little Extra"

    There is a story in the Bible that I am constantly drawn to during this adoption adventure--- the story of Gideon.  I can relate to him.  He is told up front that he will lead and be victorious.  God promises a victory... and Gideon questions it... over... and over again.  He's only human, after all.  Sounds a lot like what I used to tell God--- "I know you're not calling me, Lord.  I'm single.  I'll wait to adopt."  It took my heart stopping during surgery for God to finally get through to me.  Even after all of that, I hate to admit that like Gideon, I  still questioned God's reasoning.
    Today I received the wonderful news that my dossier arrived in Ethiopia.  The agency told me to expect it to arrive in 2-3 weeks.  It only took 6 days!  I have been praying for God to speed up the process, and when I pray I visualize His hands moving the paperwork to the top of the stack.  So why then, am I so surprised when He gives me what I ask for?
    On my way home, I was thanking God out loud.  I work downtown, and every day I pass by an inner-city church that is being built out of love.  There are always people outside working on renovating the building that will serve as God's house.  Today there was a man standing out front wearing a shirt that read "Gideon" in large letters.  I laughed and cried out of sheer joy.  I see God's hand throughout this adoption, and yet he still always adds a "little extra."  My mother calls it the exclamation point on his work.  It's like the "Love, God" signature at the end of a letter.

"Your baby will arrive very soon.  I made sure her paperwork got there quickly."
Love,
God

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog entry. I hope to adopt someday, and seeing someone else go through the journey and seeing God's hand in it as she goes is very inspiring and encouraging. Thank you, good luck, and God bless!

    ReplyDelete